Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
On Friday evening, November 17, 1911, three Howard University undergraduate students, with the assistance of their faculty adviser, gave birth to the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. This event occurred in the office of biology Professor Ernest E. Just, the faculty adviser, in the Science Hall (now known as Thirkield Hall). The three liberal arts students were Edgar A. Love, Oscar J. Cooper and Frank Coleman. From the initials of the Greek phrase meaning "friendship is essential to the soul," the name Omega Psi Phi was derived. The phrase was selected as the motto. Manhood, scholarship, perseverance and uplift were adopted as cardinal principles. A decision was made regarding the design for the pin and emblem, and thus ended the first meeting of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity .
The next meeting was conducted on November 23, 1911. Edgar Love became the first Grand Basileus (National President). Cooper and Coleman were selected Grandkeeper of the Records (National Secretary) and Grandkeeper of Seals (National Treasurer), respectively. Eleven Howard University undergraduate men were selected as charter members.
Alpha Chapter was organized with fourteen charter members on December 15, 1911. Love, Cooper and Coleman were elected the chapter's first Basileus, Keeper of Records, and Keeper of Seals, respectively. On March 8, 1912, the previously submitted fraternity constitution was rejected by the Howard University Faculty Council. The Faculty Council proposed to accept the fraternity as a local but not a national organization. The fraternity refused acceptance as a strictly local organization.
Mu Iota Chapter
Chartered June 1, 1945, Mu Iota Chapter was formed for graduate brothers to strengthen and preserve the Omega tradition and ideals that the undergraduate chapter at the Ohio State University, Iota Psi Chapter, had already established since its founding in 1926. Four Brothers from Beta chapter at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania took it upon themselves to establish a forum for Omega Men in the Columbus area to fellowship.
Once Brothers John White, Allen Wright, George Carter and Brother Peters founded Mu Iota, at least 30 men in the Columbus area joined them in their quest to uplift Omega. By 1948, the chapter had been so successful that the National Conclave was held in Columbus that same year. Mu Iota Chapter has since enjoyed the privilege of being an influential factor throughout the Columbus Community. Throughout the years, Brothers of Mu Iota has had a noticeable presence in the public school system, local politics, within the religious and civic associations in the community.
Food Pantry Program
Talent Hunt Program
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.- Mu Iota Graduate Chapter
PO Box 16203
Columbus, Ohio 43216